Like a duck in water, everything might seem calm and cool on the surface, but underneath you are paddling furiously just to stay on course. Ever feel like that? We all do from time to time, some of us more often than others.
You feel like you are working furiously to make headway with your businesses and connections and yet you need to act all calm and peaceful on the outside in hopes of attracting business. Wouldn’t it be nice if the bottom matched the top?
I know are working your tail off to create something amazing, extraordinary, and super special. It’s hard work to create the success that you want especially when you are focusing on meeting your client’s needs, but it doesn’t have to be so hard all the time.
I also know that you need to take care of you to be successful. Yes, you!
Sometimes we are so super focused on all the things we need to do today that we forget to look at the bigger picture. Taking care of you gives you the time you need to refresh and refocus, to know that you are headed in the right direction or to realize it is time to adjust your rudder.
Recently I spent some time on the beautiful, warm, sunny beaches of the Gulf Coast in Florida. The warmth and sunshine did wonders for my person (not to mention my tan.) Yes, I got my fill of Vitamin D and was able to slow down for a bit.
This slowing helped me gain a fresh perspective and a new focus for my personal and my professional life. Yes, I want to do more, be more, and have more without having to wear myself out. Let’s face it, can only stay 39 for so many years.
I came away with a great reminder that to do more, be more, and have more I need to start thinking of more in a different way. Here is what I am focusing on in my year of “more”:
- Do more of the things you love to do.
- Do more to take care of the physical and emotional you.
- Do more to serve your clients, friends, and family.
- Be more aware of opportunities to grow.
- Be more present in the moments that count.
- Be more available for the people you love and for you.
- Have more time to do the things that bring you joy.
- Have more freedom to chase your dreams.
- Have more compassions for those in need.
I thought I’d share in hopes that it might help you gain more time to do more, be more, and have more for you. Some shifts you can make to help you bring things into perspective have to do with your routine. Here are some suggestions to help create the habits that inspire change.
- Have a scheduled wake and sleep time.
- Have a morning routine. Reading, meditation, prayer, exercise, and a healthy breakfast should all take place BEFORE turning on your computer or phone.
- Tackle the 3 most important things on your list before opening email or answering messages.
- Practice deep breathing to bring you back to center to improve focus throughout the day. Set an alarm to stop and focus on deep breathing to 2 – 5 minutes.
- Break for a healthy lunch. Take a walk or do some stress relieving exercises.
- Clear your desk at the end of the day. Take 5 minutes to clear your desk and jot down the things you need to tackle first thing tomorrow.
- Do some stretches and deep breathing to thank yourself for all you accomplished today.
- Enjoy your evening with family and friends.
- Before bed spend 5 minutes reflecting on your day and give thanks for everything, the good and the not so good. Everything serves a purpose and teaches us a lesson. Journal if you like.
- Sleep well.
Sometimes having an outside perspective helps bring your goals into focus and create direction for your future. Like a duck in water you can continue to paddle like crazy in hopes of steering yourself in the right direction or you can implement strategies that will give you more of what you want from your business. It is a choice.
At 30 Second Success we help you dig deep into what you want for your business and help you map out how to make “more” happen. If you struggle with the overwhelm of business and feel like you are paddling like crazy and going in circles, schedule a strategy session today.