“Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
May is the month when we honor mothers everywhere. Mothers have the single most important gift to give besides life…love. In honor or my mom, my biggest fan and the inspiration for the woman, the mom, the leader, I have become I’d like to say, “Thank you!” to Boss Moms everywhere.
While being a mother is one of life’s greatest privileges, being a successful and impactful business owner is another role that runs deep in the heart of many women. Building and growing a thriving business that solves the pain points of others and leaves a lasting contribution is the daily motivation that keeps women moving productively forward.
But achieving this dream takes planning, strategy, and the know-how about how to put yourself out there so that you can connect with other professionals, entrepreneurs, and small business owners, especially those with whom you can relate. Fellow moms who totally understand just how complex life can be and can completely relate to wanting to do it all (and yet knowing that we only have so much energy and time to make it all happen!) Women who understand the joys, struggles and challenges that you yourself face every day as a working mother.
Networking is all about meeting new people and forming long-lasting connections with them. It’s about really understanding what your contacts bring to the table as far as the products and services they offer, and how they can help transform the lives of their target market. But it’s equally about building trust with one another and being able to offer your support to help another person to rise even higher.
Traditional networking groups and settings have their place when it comes to building, growing and maintaining your network. However, many of these types of groups don’t consider the issues of parenting while also running a business. This can sometimes leave women feeling that there’s a missing component from their networking life.
So, how do Boss Moms network and connect with others so that they can grow their professional network and align themselves with other like-minded individuals?
- Member-based communities that are specifically tailored for Boss Moms are a fantastic option for busy working mompreneurs. Whether networking in-person or virtually, this is an excellent way to connect with fellow goal-setting professionals to support one another in your local and global network.
- Recent years have seen the rise of more female-centric networking groups, such as Virtual Networkers, for example. I’m honored to lead the Wednesday chapter of this beautifully supportive global community of heart-centered entrepreneurial women who come together to learn from one another while also growing their businesses.
- Online networking via social media has also provided ample opportunities for Boss Moms to come together in LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram groups, as well as on other thriving online platforms
- Apps are another great way to meet new people who share the same Boss Mom goals while also offering personalized feedback and support
Today, there are more professional opportunities than ever for Boss Moms to thrive in a variety of industries. For instance, owning a consulting business allows you to showcase your expertise, knowledge, and experience in just about every field imaginable. A growing number of entrepreneurial-minded moms are parlaying their mom skills (organizing, scheduling, editing, etc…) by starting Virtual Assistant businesses to help other busy entrepreneurs and small business owners by taking tasks off their plate that continually weigh them down and keep them from doing the work they love.
Network marketing is another option that provides an opportunity to be in business for yourself, but not by yourself. It offers excellent training and support, team building, networking community, marketing tools and tips, and top notch products or services to offer customers. Other women choose to highlight their creative talents through an instantly recognizable company like Etsy, where they promote and sell products they’ve created on a global platform while building a raving fan base at the same time.
Carving out time for professional development is something that I hugely advocate. Not only does it keep you engaged in the growth mindset for business, but it provides an opportunity to connect with some of the Boss Moms who’ve been right where you are and want to help you navigate
There are many opportunities for learning; podcasts, videos, networks with featured speakers, and of course my personal favorite…books. There are many incredible books that speak to the increasingly important topic of business growth, development, and networking for mompreneurs. I invite you to check out a few of my personal recommendations that are guaranteed to educate and inspire:
- Boss Mom: The Ultimate Guide to Raising a Business & Nurturing Your Family Like a Pro by Dana Malstaff
- Mom Boss: Balancing Entrepreneurship, Kids & Success by Nicole Feliciano
- Get Over Your Damn Self: The No-BS Blueprint to Building a Life-Changing Business by Romi Neustadt
- Hang On Tight!: Learn to Love the Roller Coaster of Entrepreneurship by Suzanne Tregenza Moore, MBA
- That First Client: Find and Attract Your First Ideal Client by Jill Celeste
As a Boss Mom, I personally understand the innumerable benefits to be found in connecting with others and in creating those deep and lasting relationships. For over 7 years, I’ve been continually educating others while helping them to feel more confident as they deliver powerful branded messages.
In January 2020, I launched my first book, 30 Second Success: Ditch the Pitch and Start Connecting! Since then, I’ve been hard at work creating online courses for entrepreneurs and small business owners to help them feel increasingly confident in their businesses while also educating them about how to find their ideal client, to expertly craft their 30 second message, and to maximize their networking and their message for far-reaching and lasting impact. You can find my book and online courses at these links:
Hit “Reply” and share your own inspiring stories about your mom or the mother figures in your life and help celebrate the countless and immeasurable ways that moms (and Mom Bosses) help to shape the world!